- Ahern, Frank. Ecosystem Status and Trends: Indicators Using Earth Observation by Satellite. TerreVista Earth Imaging
- Wieler, Carissa. Delivery of Ecological Monitoring Information to Decision-Makers. International Institute for Sustainable Development for the Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network, Environment Canada.
- Aguirre-Bravo, C.; Pellicane, Patrick J.; Burns, Denver P.; and Draggan, Sidney, Eds. 2006. Monitoring Science and Technology Symposium: Unifying Knowledge for Sustainability in the Western Hemisphere. 2004 September 20-24; Denver, CO. Proceedings RMRS-P-42CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 990 p.
- Beveridge, Megan. Engaging Ecological Monitoring in Atlantic Canada. Report prepared for the Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network Coordinating Office by the Clean Annapolis River Project. February 2006.
- Berkes, F. 2006. From community-based resource management to complex systems. Ecology and Society 11(1): 45
- Clean Annapolis River Project. 2006. Annapolis River Report Card – Summary of 2005 Water Quality Monitoring
- Crewe, Tara, Steve Timmermans and Kathy Jones. 2006. The Marsh Monitoring Program 1995-2004: A Decade of Marsh Monitoring in the Great Lakes Region. Bird Studies Canada, 28 p.
- Furgal, Christopher and Cindy Dickson. 2006. Ways of Knowing and Understanding: Towards the Convergence of Traditional and Scientific Knowledge Of Climate Change in the Canadian North.
- Government of Quebec. 2006. Annual Report 2004-2005 on the implementation of the Quebec Strategy and Action Plan on Biological Diversity (2004-2007)
- Karsh M.B., D.C. MacIver, A. Fenech, and H. Auld, 2006. Climate-Based Predictions of Forest Biodiversity Using Smithsonian’s Global Earth Observing Network. In Proceedings of the 17th American Meteorological Society Conference on Biometeorology and Aerobiology, San Diego, May 22-25, 2006.
- Lumb, Ashok, Harvey Shear, Hague Vaughan, Serge Villeneuve, Graham Whitelaw (Eds.). Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. February 2006. Canada’s Ecosystem Initiatives. Springer: Netherlands.
- Lumb, Ashok and Graham Whitelaw, Guest Editors. 2006. Supporting sustainability through collaboration and community processes at the landscape scale. Environments: 34(1). Wilfrid Laurier University, Geography and Environmental Studies and University of Waterloo, Faculty of Environmental Studies.
- Nearshore Marine Ecological Monitoring Workshop. Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Halifax, NS, February 7-9, 2006.
- Northwest Territories (NWT) Biodiversity Action Plan
- Pilz, David, Heidi L. Ballard, and Eric T. Jones. 2006. Broadening Participation in Biological Monitoring:Handbook for Scientists and Managers. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station.
- George Francis and Graham Whitelaw, Guest Editors. 2005. Environments: A journal of interdisciplinary studies. Theme Issue: Biosphere Reserves in Canada: Exploring ideals and experience. Volume 32(3).
- Linking Ecological Monitoring to Decision-Making at Community and Landscape Scales – PDF
- McAfee, B.J.; Malouin, C. 2005. Conservation lands: integrating conservation and sustainable management in Canada’s forests. Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service.
- Performance Measures 04-05: Ecological Monitoring & Assessment Network Coordinating Office html ppt
- Protecting What Sustains Us: Ontario’s Biodiversity Strategy 2005.
- Rebecca M. Pollock and Graham S. Whitelaw. 2005. Community-Based Monitoring in Support of Local Sustainability. Local Environment, 10 (3): 211-228.
- The Status of Forest Health in Southern Ontario: An Assessment using Tree Mortality Rates
- Denise Sullivan and Megan Beveridge. 2005. Ecological Monitoring and Reporting: A Survey of the Atlantic Coastal Action Program. Report Prepared for Environment Canada
- Design and implementation of a program to monitor ocean health. P.M. Strain, R.W. Macdonald, Ocean & Coastal Management 45 (2002) 325–355
- Sustainability-driven Conservation: Biodiversity and Bioregional Planning. Lionel Normand. March 30, 2005. A Major Paper submitted to the Faculty of Environmental Studies in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master in Environmental Studies York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Credit Valley Conservation Watershed Report Card, Credit Valley Conservation
- Status of Amphibian and Reptile Populations in Canada
- Janice L. Metcalfe-Smith, Environment Canada and Becky Cudmore-Vokey. March 2004. National General Status of Freshwater Mussels.
- North-South Environmental Inc. 2004. Enhancing Community Based Monitoring in Canada: The role of Environment Canada. Report prepared for the EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.
- Makhoul, Anne. June 2004. The Canadian Community Monitoring Network. Environment Canada and the Canadian Nature Federation are promoting the widespread development of a Canadian Community Monitoring Network (CCMN) – a process which engages citizens in gathering data on local ecological indicators and delivers summary information to decision makers in a timely fashion. The CCMN would ensure that concern for the environment informs the development of responsive and responsible public policy.
- Draft Summary 2004-2008 Strategic Plan Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN) Coordinating office
- Performance Measures 03-04 Ecological Monitoring & Assessment Network Coordinating Office
- Carol Hunsberger. 2004. Exploring Links Between Citizen Environmental Monitoring and Decision Making: Three Canadian Case Examples. A thesis presented to the University of Waterloo in fulfillment of the thesis requirement for the degree of Master of Environmental Studies in Environment and Resource Studies Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Don Gayton. 2004. Native and nonnative plant species in grazed grasslands of British Columbia’s Southern Interior. BC Journal of Ecosystems and Management.
- Acid Rain in Story and Song
- Taking Stock: North American Pollutant Releases and Transfers
- Lumb A., Halliwell D., and Sharma. December 2003. The application of CCME Water Quality Index in the Mackenzie River Basin: A summary.
- Janice L. Metcalfe-Smith, Environment Canada and Becky Cudmore-Vokey. March 2003. Status of the conservation and protection of freshwater biodiversity in Canada, with emphasis on the Great Lakes.
- Canadian Community Monitoring Network. 2003. Linking Community Based Ecosystem Monitoring to Local Decision Making and Policy Development on Sustainability: Voluntary Sector Initiative (VSI) Project. Report prepared by EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario, Canada and the Canadian Nature Federation, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Environment Canada and the Canadian Nature Federation. 2003. Improving Local Decision Making through Community Based Monitoring: Toward a Canadian Community Monitoring Network.Report prepared by EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario, Canada and the Canadian Nature Federation, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Tom Brydges, Peter Hall, and Orie Loucks. 2003. FOREST HEALTH AND DECLINE: A report from the 2000 Muskoka Workshop and Field Tour of Experts
- Environment Canada. 2003. EMAN: Monitoring Biodiversity in Canadian Forests. Report prepared by EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario, Canada. [pdf]
- Environment Canada. 2003 – Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. An International Journal devoted to progress in the use of monitoring data in assessing environmental risks to man and the Environment. List of papers 2003
Kluwer Academic Publishers, P.O. Box 322, 3300 AH Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- P. Yarnell and D.V. Gayton, 2003. Community-based ecosystem monitoring in British Columbia: A survey and recommendations for extension. FORREX-Forest Research Extension Partnership. Kamloops, B.C. FORREX Series 13.
- Don Gayton. 2003. Salamanders vs. the Simpsons: Community-based ecosystem monitoring.
- Don Gayton. 2003. British Columbia Grasslands: Monitoring Vegetation Change. FORREX-Forest Research Extension Partnership. Kamloops, B.C. FORREX Series 7. [Online]. Available: BC Journal of Ecosystems and Management.
- Reed F. Noss, Conservation Science, Inc. March 2002. Information Needs for Large-Scale Conservation Planning
- Enviornment Canada. 2001. Tracking Key Environmental Issues. Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
- Environment Canada. 2001 – Monitoring Ecological Change in Canada. Published in the Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Journal. Kluwer Academic Publishers, P.O. Box 322, 3300 AH Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Canada MAB. 2000. Landscape Changes at Canada’s Biosphere Reserves. Environment Canada. Toronto, Ontairo, Canada. Available in PDF format.
- Environment Canada. 2000 – A Comparison Between the EMAN Core Monitoring Variables and Monitoring Activities at EMAN Sites – Report prepared by North-South Environmental Inc. Campbellville, Ontario, for Environment Canada, EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- Environment Canada. 2000 – Case Studies to Test the Efficacy of EMAN Core Monitoring Variables – Final Consultants Report prepared by North-South Environmental Inc. Campbellville, Ontario, for Environment Canada, EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
- Environment Canada. 2000 – Selecting Core Variables for Tracking Ecosystem Change at EMAN Sites – Final Consultants Report prepared by Geomatics International Inc. Guelph, Ontario, for Environment Canada, EMAN Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- McRae, T., C.A.S. Smith, and L.J. Gregorich (eds). 2000. Environmental Sustainability of Canadian Agriculture: Report of the Agri-Environmental Indicator Project. A Summary. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, Ont.
- Flathead Transboundary Network. 1999. State of the Crown of the Continent Ecosystem: Flathead/Castle Transboundary Region (Draft). Calgary: Miistakis Institute for the Rockies.
- Pilgrim, Wilfred, Marc Lucotte, Shelagh Montgomery, Carlos Santos-Burgoa, Maria Isbel Ibarrola Uriarte, Francisco Abascal-Garrido, Margaret Round, and Don Porcello. 1999. Meeting the Challenges of Continental Pollutant Pathways: Mercury Case Study. Final Report to the Secretariat of the CEC, February 1999.
- Scudder, G.G.E., and I.M. Smith (eds.). 1999. Assessment of species diversity in the Montane Cordillera Ecozone. Agriculture and Agri-food Canada and Environment Canada. Ottawa, Ontario.
- Brodo, Irwin and Linda Ley. 1998. Rare Lichens in Canada: Lichen Collecting Efforts in Canada. Ottawa, Ontario.
- Brydges, Tom and Ashok Lumb. 1998. Canada’s Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network: Where We Are and Where We Are Going. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. (51) 595-603.
- Pilgrim, Wilfred, Neil Burgess, and Marie-France Giguère (eds). 1998. Proceedings of the Conference on Mercury in Eastern Canada and the Northeast States. Fredricton, Unpublished.
- Pilgrim, Wilfred. 1998. Chapter VIII. New Brunswick Department of the Environment. Fredricton, New Brunswick in Northeast States for Coordinated Air Use Management, Northeast Waste Management Officials Association, New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission, and the Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network. 1998. The Northeast States and Eastern Canadian Provinces Mercury Study. Portland, Maine.
- Cole, W.G, Gillis, T. and Ripmeister, W. 1998. Swan Lake Forest Research Reserve Geographic Information System User’s Guide. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Ontario Forest Institute, Sault Ste. Marie, On., Forest Research Information Paper No. 140. 26p.
- Shearer, J.A. [ed.]. Experimental Lakes Area Publications. Available online: http://www.umanitoba.ca/institutes/fisheries/ELApubln.html(updated periodically).
- Amey, Krista and Tony Diamond. 1997 unpublished. Arctic Tern diet as a predictor of herring catches in the Bay of Fundy. (3rd National EMAN Meeting, Saskatoon)
- Beaudoin, Alwynne B., Donald S. Lemmen and Robert E. Vance. 1997 unpublished. Paleoenvironmental records of post glacial climate change in the Prairie ecozone. (3rd National EMAN Meeting, Saskatoon)
- Clark, Douglas. 1997 unpublished. Assessing the Health of the Lake Hazen Ecosystem, Ellesmere Island, Northwest Territories.
- Danks, H.V. and J.A. Downes (Eds.). 1997. Insects of the Yukon.Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods), Ottawa. x + 1034 pp.
- EMAN Biodiversity Science Board. 1997. EMAN’S Contribution to the Implementation of the Canadian Biodiversity Strategy. (EMAN Occasional Paper Series Report No. 8. Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario)
- Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office. The Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN): What it is, how it works and why we need it.
- Hüttmann, Falk. 1997 unpublished. Birds at sea; linking long-term data for seabirds with oceanographic data. (3rd National EMAN Meeting, Saskatoon)
- LURA Group. 1997, unpublished. Biodiversity in the Boreal Shield Ecozone: A National Workshop on Ecological Monitoring and Assessment. Workshop Proceedings.
- Marcogliese, Lucian A., John M. Casselman and Peter V. Hodson. 1997 unpublished. Dramatic declines of American Eel (Anguilla Rostrata) entering Lake Ontario: Long-term trends, causes and effects. (3rd National EMAN Meeting, Saskatoon)
- McNicol, Don. 1997. Canadian Wildlife Service (Ontario Region) LRTAP Biomonitoring Program Publication List. Environment Canada: Nepean.
- Metcalfe-Smith, J.L., S.K. Staton, G.L. Mackie and N.M. Lane. 1997 unpublished. Biodiversity of freshwater mussels in the lower Great Lakes Drainage Basin. (3rd National EMAN Meeting, Saskatoon)
Updated information on this report can be found in the following publications:
Metcalfe-Smith, J.L., S.K. Staton, G.L. Mackie and N.M. Lane. 1998. Changes in the biodiversity of freshwater mussels in the Canadian waters of the lower Great Lakes drainage basin over the past 140 years. J. Great Lakes Res. 24(4): 845-858.
Metcalfe-Smith, J.L., S.K. Staton, G.L. Mackie and N.M. Lane. 1998. Selection of candidate species of freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionidae) to be considered for national status designation by COSEWIC. Canadian Field-Naturalist 112(3): 425-440.
- Pearce, Cheryl. 1997. Developing composite indices to identify, analyze, and monitor biological diversity in the Mixedwood Plains ecozone using satellite data and geo-information systems. (London: University of Western).
- Sauchyn, Dave. 1997. Present and Holocene Environments of the Cypress Hills and adjacent areas: A Bibliography. University of Regina: Regina.
- Shearer, John A., Everett J. Fee, Kenneth G. Beaty and Eva. U. Schindler. 1997 unpublished. The relationship of primary production to climate in Boreal Shield lakes of northwestern Ontario, 1973 through 1996.
- Brydges, Thomas, Alicia Pérez-Fuentetaja and Donald J. McQueen. 1996 unpublished. Proceedings of the 1995 Canadian Mercury Network Workshop. (EMAN Occasional Paper Series, Report No.6. Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.)
- Dunlop, J., P.S. Taylor,and S.C. Woynarski, 1996. Last Mountain Lake National Wildlife Area (LML NWA): Ecological Monitoring & Assessment Network Node. Summary Document. Canadian Wildlife Service: Environmental Conservation Branch, Environment Canada
- Eamer, Joan, Don Russell, Jim Hawkings and Cameron Eckert. 1996. State of the Northern Yukon. (Environment Canada)
- Finnamore, Albert T. 1996 unpublished. A Workshop Report on Terrestrial Arthropod Sampling Protocols for Graminoid Ecosystems.
- Larson, Dr. D. W. 1996 unpublished. Ecological Research and Monitoring On The Milton Outlier of the Niagara Escarpment. (Cliff Ecology Research Group.)
- McLaughlin, D. 1996. A Decade of Forest Health Monitoring in Canada: Evidence of Air Pollution Effects. (2nd National Science Meeting (EMAN), Halifax.)
- Roberts-Pichette, P. and Meghan McKellar. 1996 unpublished. EMAN’S goals, objectives, and deliverables: 1996 Declarations.(EMAN Occasional Paper Series, Report No. 3. Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.)
- Roberts-Pichette, Patricia and Meghan McKellar. Ecological Science Cooperatives: 1996 Directory of EMAN sites. (EMAN Occasional Paper Series, Report No. 2. Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.)
- Smith, I.M. 1996. Assessment of Species Diversity in the Mixedwood Plains Ecozone. (Agriculture Canada)
- Tomlin, A.D., and G.J. Umphrey. 1996. Productivity of Agricultural Soils.
- Ecosystem Monitoring & Yoho National Park. (Parks Canada)
- 1996 unpublished. Report on the workshop to establish the Prairies Ecological Sciences Cooperative. (EMAN Occasional Paper Series, Report No. 7. Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.)
- Fenech, Adam, Patricia Roberts-Pichette, and Don MacIver. 1995. Bioclimate Monitoring at SI/MAB Permanent Forest Plots in Canada
- Gosselin, Heather and Bob Johnson. 1995. The Urban Outback ~ Wetlands for Wildlife: A Guide to Wetland Restoration and Frog-friendly Backyards. Metro Toronto Zoo, Toronto.
- MacQueen, Linda, Tim Coleman, Jim Ellsworth, Andre Champoux, Annie-France Gravel, Susan Nameth and Ruth Carriere. 1995. Guiding Principles for Ecosystem Initiatives. (Environment Canada)
- Roberts-Pichette, Patricia. Framework For Monitoring Biodiversity Change (Species and Species Groups) Within The Ecological Monitoring And Assessment Network In Canada. (Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.)
- Seburn, Carolyn N.L., and David C. Seburn. April 3, 1995 unpublished. Volunteer/School Monitoring of Amphibians: Project Frogweb Seburn Ecological Services. Produced for the Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Environment Canada, on behalf of the Working Group on Amphibian and Reptile Conservation in Canada.
- 1995 unpublished. Use of Remote Sensing For Ecological Monitoring in Canada. (EMAN Occasional Paper Series, Report No.5. The Ecological Monitoring Coordinating Office, Burlington, Ontario.)
- Biodiversity Working Group. 1994 unpublished. Canadian Biodiversity Strategy, Canada’s Response to the Convention on Biological Diversity.
- D’Eon, S.P., L.P. Magasi, D. Lachance and P. DesRochers. ARNEWS – Canada’s National Forest Health Monitoring Plot Network Manual on Plot Establishment and Monitoring (Revised). (Canadian Forest Service)
- Keith, Anthony. 1994 unpublished. Biodiversity In Canada – A Science Assessment for Environment Canada.
- Proceedings of the Atlantic Maritime Ecozone Long-term Monitoring and Research Organizational Workshop.
- Bell, G.A.C. and M.J. Lechowicz. 1992. Research and Teaching Use of the Gault Estate : 1986 to June 1992. Department of Biology, McGill University. Unpublished.
- Canadian Wildlife Service. 1989. A bibliography for Long Point, Lake Erie, Ontario.